The 8th LASIGE Workshop was held on March 22, 2023. The event included an award ceremony in which LASIGE researchers were distinguished for their research output for the previous year. The two best posters presented in the workshop were also awarded and… the winners were:
Best Outreach Initiative (recognizes high-impact research, both from a societal and an economic perspective)
1st prize: Carlos Duarte, for the impact of the research he carried out with Portuguese Web Accessibility Tools and Monitoring Activities, which are essential for ensuring that everyone has equal access to information and services provided through the web, regardless of their abilities.
Best Runner-up Outreach: Andreia Sofia Teixeira, for the impact of her recent research on revealing the semantic and emotional structure of suicide notes with cognitive network science and on using cognitive networks to detect structural patterns and emotional complexity in suicide notes, and participating in diverse forums of AI and Gender Equality.
Best Early Career Researcher (recognizes the achievements of junior LASIGE Ph.D. researchers)
Best PhD Student (recognizes the achievements of LASIGE PhD’s students)
Distinguished Publications (recognizes research published in high-quality journals and conferences)
1. Ibéria Medeiros, Nuno Neves, and Miguel Correia. Statically detecting vulnerabilities by processing programming languages as natural languages. IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Volume 71, Issue 2, June 2022.
2. André Rodrigues, Hugo Nicolau, André Santos, Diogo Branco, Jay Rainey, David Verweij, Jan David Smeddinck, Kyle Montague, and Tiago Guerreiro. Investigating the tradeoffs of everyday text entry collection methods. CHI ’22: Proceedings of the 2022 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, April 2022.
3. Robin Vassantlal, Eduardo Alchieri, Bernardo Ferreira, and Alysson Bessani. COBRA: Dynamic proactive secret sharing for confidential BFT services. 2022 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP), May 2022.
5. Cláudio Martins, and Ibéria Medeiros. Generating quality threat intelligence leveraging OSINT and a cyber threat unified taxonomy. ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security, Volume 25, Issue 3, August 2022.
6. Leon Ingelse, Diogo Branco, Hristijan Gjoreski, Tiago Guerreiro, Raquel Bouça Machado, Joaquim J. Ferreira, and The CNS Physiotherapy Study Group. Personalised gait recognition for people with neurological conditions. Sensors, Volume 22, Number 11, August 2022.
7. Guilherme Ramos, Pedro Aguiar, and Sérgio Pequito. An overview of structural systems theory. Automatica, Volume 140, June 2022.
9. Benjamin Steinegger, Iacopo Iacopini, Andreia Sofia Teixeira, Alberto Bracci, Pau Casanova Ferrer, Alberto Antonioni, and Eugenio Valdano. Non-selective distribution of infectious disease prevention may outperform risk-based targeting. Nature Communications, Volume 13, May 2022.
11. João E. Batista, Nuno M. Rodrigues, Ana I. R. Cabral, Maria J. P. Vasconcelos, Adriano Venturieri, Luiz G. T. Silva, and Sara Silva. Optical time series for the separation of land cover types with similar spectral signatures: cocoa agroforest and forest. International Journal of Remote Sensing, Volume 43, Issue 9, 2022.
12. Warlley Paulo Freire, Wilson S. Melo, Jr., Vinicius D. do Nascimento, Paulo R. M. Nascimento, and Alan Oliveira de Sá. Towards a secure and scalable maritime monitoring
system using blockchain and low-cost IoT technology. Sensors, Volume 22, Number 13, June 2022.
14. Emily Reed, Sarthak Chatterjeeb, Guilherme Ramos, Paul Bogdan, and Sérgio Pequito. Fractional cyber neural systems – A brief survey. Annual Reviews in Control, Volume 54, 2022.
15. George Christodoulou, Martin Gairing, Yiannis Giannakopoulos, Diogo Poças, and Clara Waldmann. Existence and complexity of approximate equilibria in weighted congestion games. Mathematics of Operations Research, Volume 48, Issue 1, 2023.
16. Nuno M. Rodrigues, Katherine M. Malan, Gabriela Ochoa, Leonardo Vanneschi, and Sara Silva. Fitness landscape analysis of convolutional neural network architectures for image classification. Information Sciences, Volume 609, September 2022.
18. Soraia M. Alarcão, Vânia Mendonça, Carolina Maruta, and Manuel J. Fonseca. ExpertosLF: dynamic late fusion of CBIR systems using online learning with relevance feedback. Multimedia Tools Applications, Volume 82, August 2022.
19. Diogo F. Soares, Rui Henriques, Marta Gromicho, Mamede de Carvalho, and Sara C.Madeira. Learning prognostic models using a mixture of biclustering and triclustering: predicting the need for non-invasive ventilation in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, Volume 134, October 2022.
20. Roger R. dos Santos, Eduardo K. Viegas, Altair O. Santin, and Vinicius V. Cogo. Reinforcement Learning for Intrusion Detection: More Model Longness and Fewer Updates. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, September 2022.
21. Rui Filipe Antunes, and Luís Correia. Virtual simulations of ancient sites inhabited by autonomous characters: lessons from the development of Easy-population. Digital Applications in Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, Volume 26, September 2022.
22. Francesco Massa, Preeti Yadav, Amir Moqanaki, Walter O. Krawec, Paulo Mateus, Nikola Paunković, André Souto, and Philip Walther. Experimental semi-quantum key distribution with classical users. Quantum, Volume 6, September 2022.
23. Guilherme Ramos, Daniel Silvestre, and A. Pedro Aguiar. A resilient continuous time consensus method using a switching topology. Systems and Control Letters, Volume 169, November 2022.
24. Emily A. Reed, Guilherme Ramos, Paul Bogdan, and Sérgio Pequito. A scalable distributed dynamical systems approach to compute the strongly connected components and diameter of networks. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, September 2022.
25. João Pedro Vitorino, and Nuno Cruz. IoTMapper: a metrics aggregation system architecture in support of Smart City solutions. Sensors, Volume 22, Issue 19, October 2022.
26. Maria Lua Nunes, Duarte Folgado, Carlos Fujão, Luís Silva, João Rodrigues, Pedro Matias, Marília Barandas, André V. Carreiro, Sara C. Madeira, and Hugo Gamboa. Posture risk assessment in an automotive assembly line using inertial sensors. IEEE Access, Volume 10, August 2022.
27. Marta Noronha, Rui Henriques, Sara C. Madeira, and Luis E. Zárate. Impact of metrics on biclustering solution and quality: a review. Pattern Recognition, Volume 127, July 2022.
28. Marco G. Pinheiro, Sara C. Madeira, and Alexandre P. Francisco. Shapelets to classify energy demand time series. Energies, Volume 15, issue 8, April 2022.
29. Helena Aidos. Exploiting second-order dissimilarity representations for hierarchical clustering and visualization. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Volume 36, May 2022.
Best Poster (voted by the event attendees)
1st prize (ex-aequo):
Advent of Code 2022 (in recognition of outstanding programming skills by an undergraduate DI student on the 2022 world challenge)