Full TitleWearable Collaboration Kit.
The objective of this project is to set up a mobile collaboratory where people dispersed in space and moving around, are able to collaborate synchronously with each other, as well as with other people at fixed sites. The mobile collaboratory is adequate to:
- Knowledge intensive and mobile work situations
- Tasks where time is critical
- Tasks where people must deal with the latest information
- Situations where remote expert information is needed
- Decision-making situations requiring informal collaboration
The proposed infrastructure combines fixed and wearable components. The wearable components are in fact backpacks with wearable computers, GPRS phones, head Mounted Displays, audio devices, wearable keyboards, Palm Pilots, Video Cameras and GPS. Each backpack has a Personal Area Network (PAN) using USB, 802.11b and Bluetooth technologies. The backpacks are networked together using GPRS phones. The proposed infrastructure contributes to advanced research in the CSCW, HCI and MobiComp fields.